Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya.

"Prepare to Die!" It's one of my favorite quotes from The Princess Bride, and my entire family can easily slip it into everyday conversations. 

https://www.geekograph.com/products/the-princess-bride-geekograph-limited-edition-metal-art 

In fact, we regularly trade movie lines back and forth. For no apparent reason, other than trying to best each other's memories. Here's one my oldest daughter will lob at me when she suspects that we're having seafood for dinner: "Fish are friends not food!"

Sometimes, I'll toss out a movie or book quote to non-family members, just to see how they react. It's almost an experiment to see if they're worthy of my friendship. Hahaha, so arrogant. But it's true. If you don't understand a quote from The Princess Bride (TPB), I'm not sure we can be besties. Anyway, this got me thinking about the most quotable movies of all time. What are the top ten, you ask?

As you wish...

Well, on a top 100 by ranker.com, you'll find titles like Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Forrest Gump, TPB (#4 on this list), Back to the Future and Casablanca. Esquire.com goes into a bit more detail on their list of the 18 most quoted movies of all time, highlighting another of my TPB favorites, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." This site also lists Austin Powers, Mean Girls and Pulp Fiction, all movies that I have avoided like the plague.

Screen Rant is on my naughty list since they rank TPB at #15 for most quotable. I totally disagree. Clearly, the content writers have no idea what they're talking about since they rate virtually unknown films like Army of Darkness, They Live and This is Spinal Tap all higher than TPB

Blasphemy!

And what about Guardians of the Galaxy, huh? How's it stacking up next to classics like Star Wars, all the Marvel movies and TPB? Marvel's The Avengers made roughly  $623,357,910 at the box office all told. I figure, the more people see a flick, the more they'll end up quoting their favorite lines. In August 2014, Guardians of the Galaxy opened to a record-breaking $94.3 million across North America, the best August opener of all time in movie history. Will the second installment of Guardians do the same? Who knows? Watch the trailer and decide for yourself.

Critics and fans are already saying that Baby Groot basically steals the show. But I think my favorite and most quotable character is Rocket, the ill-tempered raccoon. Here's the evidence for why he should be your preferred hero, too:

 "You've got a plan? Okay, first of all, you're copying me from when I said I had a plan."

"You just wanna suck the joy out of everything."

"Quit smiling, ya idiot, you're suppose to be professional."

"Asleep for the danger, awake for the money, as per frickin' usual."

"Aww, what the h***, I don't got that long a lifespan anyway..."

"Hold up! What's a raccoon?"

 "We were only gonna blow you up if they didn't turn you over."

www.dailymail.com

And here's what we have to look forward to in May when the sequel opens...

"Does anybody have any tape out there? I wanna put some tape over the 'Death' button!" 


"Are we really saving the galaxy? Again!"


Comments

Cuz you liked 'em so much...